Balayage vs Sombre: Which Is Better For Sun Kiss Highlights?
Did you know that almost 75% of women dye their hair when they have a lot of free time?
Summer is perfect weather to try out something new with your hair. There are tons of hairstyles and hair fashions in the industry. If you are new to the hairstyling trend, you might even get overwhelmed by the hundreds of options that are available.
When there are several options available, it’s hard to decide which is the perfect one for you.
If you are somewhat familiar with the latest hair trends, you might have heard about both Sombre and Balayage Highlights. Though you have heard of them, you might still be curious about which is the best hairstyling to get the sun kissed highlights that you desire badly.
To help you out, here’s a thorough guide comparing two of the hottest styles in the hair industry.
What is Balayage Hair Styling?
Originally from the French word that means “sweeping”, caramel hair balayage is a foiling-free hair colouring treatment. Hair colouring balayage is a free hand technique.
It’s a technique of applying highlights to give the perfect hair colour that you crave. It is done from the very roots of your hair and focuses on the middle and the end part of your hair.
It gives a lighter beautiful colour with a much darker base to create one of the most beautiful sun kissed highlights.
Balayage is widely popular among many of the best hair stylists in London. What makes it even more trendy is that it takes less time to maintain our style.
Some of the major benefits of Balayage are:
- It doesn’t bleach your hair completely, which keeps your hair healthy
- Saves a lot of time on everyday styling of your hair
- This is completely safe for anyone as there is no excessive use of chemicals
- Can be done for literally any hair style or hair colour
- Allows a lot of creativity and can be made as soft as the customer wants
What is Sombre Hair Treatment?
As the name itself suggests, this is a lighter version of Ombre hairstyle. It focuses on maintaining a natural hair colour at the roots and applying a shade lighter or darker than natural at the hair-ends.
Ombre has been a king of hairstyles for a long time and Sombre is the perfect new invention that blew up as soon as it came out. People who want to play off their natural hair colour but still want fantastic sun kissed highlights really love getting Sombre.
If you are a shy person but still want to colour your hair, Sombre is ideal for you as it gives a soft and subtle look to your hair.
Reasons that make people love Sombre are:
- It helps you to maintain your natural hair colour
- This is super low maintenance and lasts for a long time
- Can be done for any hair colour you want
- Allows you to create an awesome look with dark roots and light hair ends
- Has a very easy procedure to get it done and is pretty fast
The big question: Which is the best among the two?
Now that we have gone through the basics of both treatments, the next step is to decide what works best for you.
- The first major difference: Balayage does not involve a lot of foiling whereas Sombre depends a lot on foiling
- Sombre works much better on blondes while balayage can be done for any hair colour
- If you want a lighter look on your hair, Sombre is much better for you
- When it comes to maintaining the hair, hair colouring balayage is easier than Sombre
What Is The Cause Of The Sudden Popularity Of Balayage?
If you look at the best hairstylists in London, most of them offer balayage. Though Sombre is a classic hair highlighting technique that has been popular for a while, there are some obvious demerits about it.
Balayage lasts longer than the classic highlights so you don’t have to continuously visit the salon to redo it. It saves a lot of time in your daily life and is much easier to style for any occasion.
The hair transition is much more natural in balayage than Sombre. It also grows out smoothly and no lines are visible after it’s done.
If hair colouring is completely new territory for you, you definitely don’t want to dive into it the wrong way, right? Both Sombre and Balayage can be done. You just have to choose based on what you expect from the highlights.
Caramel hair balayage is stunning while Sombre gives the perfect subtle hair look. You can get both of these services at most hairdressers but make sure to choose the best one. Getting hair colouring done at the best salon also matters just as much as picking the perfect hair colour for you.
A few things you can look for while you decide on the hair treatment are:
- Your natural hair colour and the colour that goes best with it
- If you want to get chemical based treatment or not
- Which one would be the best for you to maintain and style each day
- Which treatment sounds the most efficient and elegant to you, personally
Be it free-hand balayage or Sombre for a lighter highlight look, it’s important to understand the correct difference between these two. My main aim with this article was to help you understand all the pros and cons of both the hair styling options. This way, you can decide which one suits you more.
I hope this guide helped you to briefly know about both these extremely popular hair trends. While hair colouring balayage might seem like the perfect option, it’s totally okay if you want to go with Sombre, and vice-versa.
After all, what matters the most is your happiness! I wish you the best of luck in choosing your perfect treatment and getting the best sun kissed highlights that you dreamed of.